Monday, February 25, 2008

I made it here!

Well, after a very long and eventful journey that included a stop in London to see Big Ben, the Queen's Palace, and Westminster Abby, I finally made it to South Africa! It is beautiful here- very lush, green and hilly- not at all what I expected. We live in a nice, clean house- four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a little dining room. Quite clean and comfortable. I'm sharing a room with Dara, and there is another girl named Lacey, and two guys in the house- Dustin and Callen. We live on the Africa School and Mission campus- quite safe- good locks, alarm system, and an electric fence that goes around the whole place. The fence separates us from a pond that supposedly houses a hippo. We haven't seen him yet, but we've been watching. There is a small mountain beside us, tons of beautiful flowers, HUGE hummingbirds, and some monkeys (I haven't seen them yet either, although I'm pretty sure we've heard them running on our tin roof!) We haven't needed to 'rough it' yet- there are a couple towns nearby with every western thing you could need. Today we started orientation- it went well. So far I am loving the environment, and am very impressed with the organization. Last night Jayme (Haskey) and Lynn Chotowetz had us over for a great pasta supper (candle light as the power was out). It's fun to have familiar faces here! On Thursday we will be going into a local community, and will be spending five nights there- we get split up, and paired with a local family. We will be eating what they eat, handwashing our clothes, and getting to see what life is really like out here- I'm expecting a big eyeopener! During the days we will be helping with some of the projects that are being run out here. Next time I write I should have some good stories from the community!

4 comments:

Dad said...

Hi Laura,

It was so good to hear that you arrived safely and it sounds like you have a very nice place to stay!

When I heard you had a hippo near your place I knew I should have travelled with you - with my shotgun! Be careful, they can be very dangerous.

With all our love and prayers,

Dad

Crystal said...

Hey Laura,
Glad to hear you're settling in! I'm sure you'll have a great weekend staying in the community. I only got to stay out there one night, but I LOVED it!
I'm sure you'll see those monkeys soon... they're really cheeky!
Well thanks for writing! I love reading... takes me back to good ole' Masoyi!
Love ya!
Crystal

Crystal said...

Oh, and I didn't realize you were now an aunty! Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Budddddy!!
Very happy to hear that you're comfy and safe!!!
BTW...you bugger!! You came thru TO without a sign. I would have at least waved to you in the sky!

Thinking of ya!
Hugs
Lenka