Wednesday, March 5, 2008

back from the community...

Well, the community stay was quite an experience! On Wednesday the five of us "footprinters" got assigned to five different families. I stayed with a 24 year old name Tabisile - her English name is "Happiness", and she suited the name. She lived with her 19 y.o. brother Stanwell, 9 y.o. brother, Treasure, and her daughter, Education. Yes, that is her English name- Education! The house we lived in had three bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living room- quite big actually, but a very different living situation than I am used to! There was no running water- we used buckets to bathe, did the dishes outside, and used an outhouse. We did have electricity though, so that was nice.

The family was very close to each other, and to their neighbours. We spent alot of time outside, visiting with their friends and relatives, eating, and braiding eachother's hair. I was amazed at the huge deal everyone made out of having a white person stay in the community. Relatives, friend and neighbours would come from all over to meet me, and would often stay the night as well. One night I slept in the same room as Tabisile, her daughter, her neighbour, and her cousin (three of us in the same bed, and two on the floor!) I probably slept about 3 hours a night (not much considering we went to bed at about 8:30!)- between the heat (verrrrrrrrry hot in the community), mosquitos, frogs, being kicked by Education, and sleeping with the light on, I just couldn't sleep! I also got to take a field trip across town in a taxi with Tabisile to meet her aunt and uncle, who then invited their neighbours over to see the white person! I had learned some Saswati greetings before I went to the community, and the people were amazed to hear them coming out of a white person! It is verrrrry segragated here!

The people in the community were very poor. Most did have enough to eat, buy clothes, and go to school, but college, buying a car, or traveling are usually hopes that are out of reach.

On the weekdays the group would meet at an orphanage to help cook, clean, paint and play with the kids. We mostly ate rice, maizemeal (made into something like sticky mashed potatoes), cabbage, beets, and fish and beans, and chicken. The flavours are quite nice. I also got served chicken feet- I had to ask one of the boys how to eat them- first bite off the fingernails, then eat the fat (or whatever it is) that is around each "finger" and whatever else you can get off the foot... not my favorite meal!

It was a very good experience. I was very warmly welcomed by the family, and was treated very well. I felt quite safe in the community (although we didn't go out after dark). We got back to our house yesterday, and we were all very happy to have a shower, sleep in our own beds, and to come shopping and use the internet today! All for now...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Hi, Laura,
What a week you had! getting to know a Little of African culture, first hand, Really. Knowing what a light sleeper you are, I marvel that you got even 3 hours/night. I'm wondering what will be next in your training...
Upon your recommendation I just read "Cry, the Beloved Country" - a remarkable book, not like any other I have read. Conrad is into it now.
Now I'm looking for some books that give a more recent picture of South Africa since apartheid was 'officially' outlawed -
Love, Mom

Uncle Leland said...

Hi Laura,

Carol and I just read your blog and thoroughly enjoyed the entries. What a great experience this has already turned out to be for you.

By comparison, life here is quite boring -- though I'm not sure we'll miss not eating chicken feet! We had such a great time in Cameroon when we were there in '85-86. The sights and sounds and people who make up the African culture got inside our hearts -- and the feelings continue to this day.

We'll follow your blog with love and prayers!

Uncle Leland